Friday, July 22, 2011

Michael

Wednesday I was making home deliveries which took me to Jonesboro Rd. At the corner of the 285 ramp and Jonesboro was a man seeking alms. He was old, a rail of a figure in tattered clothes.

His right leg had been amputated at the knee, the joint covered by an old sock. His aluminum crutches were bent and dented, the arm pads gone.His left hand clasped his crutch and an old large plastic cup.

He looked very tired and in pain. I reached for my wallet where I try to always keep some cash for alms giving and it was empty. I looked to him and said "I'm sorry." He shook his head and said "Don't worry, don't worry. God bless you." With his other crutch wedged under his right arm he raised his right hand and his hand formed a peace sign and with his hand he blessed me with a sign of the cross. I have never felt the power of a blessing as I did with his, a blessing from beyond his pain, and from beyond all his suffering telling me, me, not to worry. I asked him his name so I could pray for him. He said, "Prayers mean more than money." Please pray with me for Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment